Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Friendships and Travel. A Goodbye.

I love living abroad.
I love meeting new people.
I love when new people become friends.
I love when friends become your source of comfort, laughter, joy, happiness.
I love when friends listen to your complaints, frustrations, anxieties.
I love when friends comfort you when you're homesick.
I love when friends explore countries, cities, neighborhoods together.
I love when friends send you that kikinitinkorea post that it so true.
I love when friends share wine, meals, cakes, coffee.

I care for them. They care for me. I love them. They love me.

And that's how friendships work.
It's a precious gift.
It takes time to grow.
It takes trust.
It takes love.

If it's your first time in a different place.
Or your hundredth place.
Friends will keep you going.
Will keep you laughing.
Will keep you sane.

But then after spending months, maybe years building these beautiful friendships,
A terrible day comes.
The day when you have to say goodbye.

As an expat, I knew this day was coming.
I can resist, but saying goodbye is inevitable.
I don't regret making new friends.
But damn, this is hard.
Really hard.

I spent time growing these friendships.
And now I must leave them.
Leave them to grow in distance.

I give a piece of my heart to each best friend.
For they will always remain a significant part of my expat life.

So I sit down and share that last meal.
That last drink.
That last conversation.
And I give my friends a hug.
I probably cry.

I say goodbye.

But it won't be last goodbye I ever say.

I now have friends from all over the world.
I now have the best excuse to visit a new country, a new city, a new home.

I now have friendships that were made in Korea.
Made from adventure.
Made with love.

To all of my friends,




1 comment:

  1. :) your heart will ache for them. for a few months even. and then you realize that they're not gone. they're in your heart. and if your journey brings you together again in flesh, it'll be the happiest of days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.